land of rest

Land of Rest is a blog of Peter Jenks. Poems, quotes and photos are by Peter Jenks (unless otherwise noted or I miss noting an older post's photo) and are copyrighted, you are free to use these if you acknowledge their source.

Monday, August 2, 2010

a day in Matinicus





Going to the island of Matinicus today for a funeral. It is a beautiful place with wonderful people.

It seems to me that living on an island really takes a commitment, living becomes very intentional. Simple things need to be considered that people on the mainland take for granted, like trips to the store, or ferry times. There are very clear limitations set out by the limits of the island itself. I wonder what kind of commitment I make to where I live? If not having to be so deliberate about such little things as transportation, stores and getting into and out of my town causes me to take more for granted and exposes me to miss important things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...