land of rest

Land of Rest is a blog of Peter Jenks. Poems, quotes and photos are by Peter Jenks (unless otherwise noted or I miss noting an older post's photo) and are copyrighted, you are free to use these if you acknowledge their source.

This is also the site where I will be updating and listing the schedule for my radio show, Words of the Morning, which can be heard on WRFR.org on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7 am until 8 am.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Some thoughts poems and idle writing posted while I feel overwhelmed in preparing for my sabbatical

The hardest person for me to see
Is the person standing in front of me.


Do fish dream of walking and taking a constitutional stroll,
Like I dream of swimming like a fish?



When my distractions blink
I am stunned by the sight of you
When my opinions pause
the flash of love’s flesh stuns me
When I stop avoiding doing the things I fear to do
you are still there beside me



Way beyond my longings
Before the boundary of avoidance
Lies the remarkable
Present
Moment.
of you



DEFINITION
We are defined by our relationships:
The people we love,
And the people we hate;
The people we forgive,
And the people we ignore.
We are defined by our relationships:
Those things we eat,
And those things which revolt us
Those things we cherish,
And our trash.
We are defined by our relationships:
The animals we tame,
And the creatures we fear;
The life that leaves us in awe,
And that which we cause to be extinct without our concern.
We are defined by our relationships:
How we let go
And how we hold on;
How we become one
And how we keep separate.
We are defined by our relationships:
Who we serve
And who we expect to serve us;
Who is our God
And who is our neighbor.




I aint got nothing to do baby,
and I'd like to do that nothing with you.
I aint got nothing to say baby,
and I'd like to say that nothing with you.
I aint got noplace to go baby,
and I'd like to go that nowhere with you.
I aint got nothing to wear baby,
And I'd like to wear that nothing with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...