land of rest

Land of Rest is a blog of Peter Jenks. Poems, quotes and photos are by Peter Jenks (unless otherwise noted or I miss noting an older post's photo) and are copyrighted, you are free to use these if you acknowledge their source.

This is also the site where I will be updating and listing the schedule for my radio show, Words of the Morning, which can be heard on WRFR.org on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7 am until 8 am.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Our daily bread

I remember my grandmother making bread when I was little, it is a deep memory and the smell can bring me back in a heartbeat. But most of my life I have eaten my bread from the big grocery stores with long aisles and brought home with jammed bags that I hope won't completely flatten the bread substance. But over the last couple of decades I have slowly been awakened to the joy of good bread. The arrival of Bodacious, now Borealis Bread was like fresh air coming in the house after a long closed up winter. Now we also have Atlantic Bakery and other local bakeries. It shouldn't be a surprise to rediscover what human have had for millions of years, but it just kind of got lost in the wake of the supermarket machinery of modern convenience. But buying bread from the baker is now one of my local delights. Seeing the people covered in flour in the bake room and the various loaves on display is such a rich addition to life here. The convenience of one stop
shopping to get everything I need is not as valuable to me anymore as taking a bit longer and adding another stop to get some bread or now even think of shopping as a process, with many visits. It all seems so basic, so primal and somehow it seems to connect me more with my food and where I am living. Eating fresh bread is one of my great delights and I thank heartily those local bakers who make my life so much richer here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh - I too remember Grandma making bread and eating it toasted with butter! Or Mom making fresh donuts rolled in cinnamon! Oh the joys of baking!! I just put a curry on though - and it is smelling heavenly too!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...