land of rest

Land of Rest is a blog of Peter Jenks. Poems, quotes and photos are by Peter Jenks (unless otherwise noted or I miss noting an older post's photo) and are copyrighted, you are free to use these if you acknowledge their source.

This is also the site where I will be updating and listing the schedule for my radio show, Words of the Morning, which can be heard on WRFR.org on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7 am until 8 am.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Surprised by Joy




So often I find that it is easier to give than to receive. In fact receiving can pose an odd sense of unease that I cannot explain. But recently I found out that my car was not going to pass inspection and repair costs were looming before me. Suddenly my parents called up and offered me a new car! Needless to say I was overwhelmed. I was confronted with the reality of excitement welling up within me. Not only that, but they wanted to pick it out for me. They knew that I would pick out a used car that was sufficient. They wanted to pick out one that would be fun. When we were at the dealer I found myself having to let go of my usual acceptance of mediocrity and having to be conscious of choosing something that would be fun. It was an odd but exciting feeling. Aging and responsibility sometimes dulls our sense of delight and wonder. Here are a couple pictures of the car. I also chose my first vanity plate to go with it - WONDRUS from one of my favorite hymns, Wondrous Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...