land of rest

Land of Rest is a blog of Peter Jenks. Poems, quotes and photos are by Peter Jenks (unless otherwise noted or I miss noting an older post's photo) and are copyrighted, you are free to use these if you acknowledge their source.

This is also the site where I will be updating and listing the schedule for my radio show, Words of the Morning, which can be heard on WRFR.org on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7 am until 8 am.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

dec 10 advent devotional

December 10: The Feast Day of Thomas Merton - The American monk, Thomas Merton has had a lasting influence on 20th century Christianity. He also had a profound effect upon my own personal journey of faith. I remember reading his book about his life, The Seven Story Mountain, when I was a young man. It was a profound encounter with someone who was able to talk personally about his life and coming to faith in a way in which I could relate. His poetry opened me up to the idea of Christian poetry. His openness of faith that brought him into relationship with the Buddhist monk, Thich Nhat Hanh, challenged me to open up my own faith to a broader horizon of understanding. Thomas Merton never knew me, but he had a profound effect upon my life. How many people have been touched or will be touched by our life that we will never know, nor have any idea about? We cannot travel through the water without leaving a wake, nor love without leaving a mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...