land of rest

Land of Rest is a blog of Peter Jenks. Poems, quotes and photos are by Peter Jenks (unless otherwise noted or I miss noting an older post's photo) and are copyrighted, you are free to use these if you acknowledge their source.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday advent devotional thought dec. 3

December 3: Luke 20:1-2 One day, as he was teaching the people in the temple and telling the good news, the chief priests and the scribes came with the elders and said to him, ‘Tell us, by what authority are you doing these things? Who is it who gave you this authority?’ I cannot imagine that I would not question someone’s authority, who does not have what I consider the proper credentials and who speaks out with great authority and whom people listen and follow. The religious leaders did not know Jesus as the one who was raised from the dead, the Lord of Lords, and they were not raised in a Christian Sunday School. What Jesus said challenged their upbringing and beliefs and most of all their power. Does the Jesus I know and worship challenge my power and beliefs or do I expect what I have always thought to always be true? Traditions are important, but the living word and love of God is the ground of my being. Is what I question only questionable because I did not think of it? I believe in a living God, and with that belief I must question where and through whom such a power is challenging me, and the community in which I live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...