land of rest

Land of Rest is a blog of Peter Jenks. Poems, quotes and photos are by Peter Jenks (unless otherwise noted or I miss noting an older post's photo) and are copyrighted, you are free to use these if you acknowledge their source.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Grape jelly

I had some toast today and found a jar of grape conserves in the refrigerator. They came from the church fair, made by a wonderful friend.  I really didn't think much of it while I added it to the top of the toast.  My experience of grape jelly is from many years and millions of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with grape jelly.   The general taste of grape jelly in my experience is basically a lubricant for peanut butter, a minimally flavored sweetener that adds moisture.  So when I took a bite of the homemade grape conservative I was taken aback.  It tasted like grapes, actually several different and individual kinds that were intermingled with intricacies and flavor.  A million sandwiches were now being reconsidered.  
The convenience and cost saving of mass produced products have filled my life, saved time and money; but cost me the understandings and joy of flavor, and connection to people who make things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...